Woolwich Township, NJ


  • DSCF4001 (2)
  • 007
  • Legacy tree
  • ColorGuard
  • WTC Beam
  • DeputyMayor a




Gloucester County is set to begin the roundabout construction at the intersection of High Hill and Auburn Road.

For more information, click here to access the Letter to Residents


Letter from Mayor Alan Schwager regarding Fair Funding for our Schools

Dear Woolwich Residents,

Over the last several weeks, I have attended multiple meetings and work groups regarding our current unfair school funding situation. I have received numerous e-mails and phone calls urging me to support Kingsway’s FFAC (Fair Funding Action Committee) and their efforts to phase in our fair share of funding over a period of 5 or more years. I have since gone on record that I do not support this plan and want to explain why. Before I do that, I also want to go on record that I fully support signing a petition Kingsway has on their web site taking a different position than the phased funding plan supported by the FFAC. This phased funding plan, is the anticipated outcome coming from the Senate committee that was formed thru SR-100.

Swedesboro/Woolwich and Kingsway Schools have been underfunded since 2010 using the approved formula indentified in the 2008 SFRA (School Funding Reform Act). To send a message to our State legislatures and Governor that we are willing to wait 5 more years to finally receive the funds due our community today is absurd. Woolwich and its residents deserve and demand to be fully funded in the 2017-2018 state budget cycle.

I strongly urge each and every resident to contact our 3rd District Legislatures and demand to be fully funded at once without any further delays. The Legislative District 3 Officials’ phone number for Senator Sweeney, Assemblyman Burzichelli and Assemblyman Taliaferro is (856)-251-9801.

How ironic is it that 40 Senators, 80 Assemblymen and 1 Governor can come together in a matter of months to pass a $.23 gas tax, but fail year after year after year to properly fund the education of our children. Please help me send a message to Trenton that our children should not be less important than our roads and that the time for political posturing, finger pointing and games are over and do the job they were elected to do.

Alan Schwager-Mayor

Woolwich Township, NJ


To View Resolution R-2017-61 Resolution of the Township of Woolwich, County of Gloucester, Requesting the Assistance of the State of New Jersey in Addressing the School Funding Issue Faced by the Swedesboro-Woolwich and Kingsway High School Districts click here

Adopted 2-21-17 


Tax Assessor FAQ

Tax Assessor (9 Entries)

1. Can the Tax Assessor and I settle my appeal before the hearing?

We will attempt to resolve discrepancies by stipulation if ethically possible. A settlement stipulation completed sufficiently in advance of a scheduled hearing will serve to avoid an unnecessary appearance before the County Tax Board. However, if the assessment is defensible in our opinion, we will provide you with the evidence that supports our position.

2. I disagree with my property assessment and would like to have it reviewed.

Due to the volume of assessment related questions this office receives, please schedule an appointment with the Tax Assessor . We are able to assist you more efficiently if you make an appointment by calling 856-307-6445.

3. I agree with the land assessment but I disagree with the building assessment. Can I appeal one but not the other?

Land and building assessments cannot be appealed separately.

4. Can I appeal my property tax bill?

A tax appeal is not an appeal of your tax bill. The amount of taxes you pay is never an issue during an appeal because neither the Tax Assessor nor County Tax Board has control over budgets submitted by municipalities, schools, counties or fire districts.

5. Can I file my tax appeal form with the Tax Assessor's Office?

No. The municipality cannot accept tax appeals. Your appeal form should be filed with the [county] County Tax Board or Tax Court as the case may be

6. What is the deadline to file a tax appeal?

The filing deadline is April 1st of the tax year in question. �Filed� means that the appeal form must be received on or before April 1st. Date of mailing is not used in determining whether an appeal is timely.

7. I am appealing my assessment and want to establish my case by using comparable assessments. Is this acceptable?

No. Comparable assessments are not acceptable evidence of the value of your property. You should submit at least three recent comparable sales of other properties of a similar type in the same neighborhood.

8. I have not applied for a certificate of occupancy but I received an assessment notice.

Assessments cannot be avoided by delaying issuance of a certificate of occupancy. If the building is substantially complete it is subject to assessment.

9. I am appealing my assessment and I feel that I should not have to pay my taxes until my appeal is heard and resolved.

Payment of first quarter taxes and other municipal charges (e.g., water, sewer, etc.) is a prerequisite to the appeal process. Your appeal will not be accepted unless taxes and other municipal charges are paid.

Last Tax Assessor FAQ Update: November 19, 2005.