Woolwich Township, NJ


  • DSCF4001 (2)
  • 007
  • Legacy tree
  • ColorGuard
  • WTC Beam

Police Department FAQ

1. What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?

  • Although pets can provide much companionship and love, they can also become a nuisance to an entire neighborhood if not cared for properly. All barking dogs or other nuisance complaints can be called in to Gloucester County Communications 856-589-0911 or Woolwich Police headquarters 856-467-1667 x1126.

2. What are the regulations regarding construction-related noise?

  • The regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibits a person, between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. of the following day, to perform any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance.

 3. If I'm involved in a traffic accident, what should I do?

  • As our township grows, so does traffic congestion and the likelihood of traffic accidents. Should you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being involved in a motor vehicle accident, there are certain steps you should follow for your safety as well as to assist you through the entire process. Regardless of the severity of the damage, always call the police department to respond and make a report. NEVER leave the scene of an accident without first reporting the accident to a police officer.  If your vehicle is still in the roadway, there are NO injuries reported as a result of the collision and your vehicle is safe to do so, carefully move your vehicle to a safe location (i.e. shoulder of roadway or parking lot) If you are unable to move your vehicle safely to another location, remain in your vehicle until assistance arrives. Unless your vehicle is in a hazardous location, then dismount your vehicle and go to a safe location.  Attempt to refrain from arguing with any other persons involved in the collision.  Retrieve your driver's license, registration and insurance card. Be prepared to produce these documents to the officer who responds to investigate your collision. When an officer asks you questions pertaining to the collision, attempt to give a clear and concise account of the accident. Do not feel that any piece of information is too minor to report. Ask the officer for your case number so you can give that case number to the Police Records Bureau when retrieving your accident report. You may obtain a copy of your accident report after 5 working days at the Woolwich Township Police Department.

4. How can I get a copy of a police report?

  • Traffic Accident reports can be picked up at the Police Records Bureau, 120 Village Green Drive, Woolwich Township, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am 4:00 pm. The fee is $0.75 per page for the 1st to 10th page; $0.50 for the 11th to 20th page; all pages over 20 $0.25 per page. When a request for an accident report is not made in person, an additional fee of $5.00 for the first 3 pages and $1.00 for each additional page will be charged. Accident reports are generally 1 to 3 pages in length, depending upon the severity of the accident. Criminal Investigation reports may also be picked at the Record's Bureau, however, some restrictions may apply. Contact Police Records at 856-467-1667 x1126 for further information.

5. What can I do about suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

  • There are several ways to report suspicious activity in your neighborhood. Suspicious activity may be reported by contacting the police department 856-467-1667 x1126, or dispatch at 856-589-0911. Any suspicious activity appearing to be a crime in progress should be reported to 911.

6. What can I do about traffic concerns in my neighborhood?

  • If you have a concern with traffic in your neighborhood such as speeding vehicles, you should contact the Traffic Safety Bureau in writing or by phone. A Traffic Safety Officer will respond to your neighborhood to survey the traffic. Officers may remain posted on your street during busy traffic times to issue summonses, or may post a RADAR trailer on your street to advise the motoring public of their speed and the posted speed limit. Calls may be placed to 856-467-1667 x1206.

7. What can I do about ATV & dirt-bike concerns in my neighborhood?

  • All Terrain Vehicles (ATV's) and dirt-bikes can provide much outdoor enjoyment for all ages. However, there are strict laws regarding their usage. If you are experiencing ATV's or dirt-bikes being operated illegally in your neighborhood, call the police department at 856-467-1667 x1126 or county dispatch at 856-589-0911 to have an officer dispatched to your neighborhood. An officer will respond to resolve the situation. Should the problem become persistent, the Woolwich Police Department may be assigned to your locale to conduct surveillance details and take appropriate enforcement action.

8. How can I contest traffic or parking citations?

  • A person who receives a traffic or parking citation may contest it by contacting the Woolwich Township Municipal Court. A court clerk will assign a court date. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Woolwich Township Municipal Court at 856-467-1555.

9. I lost my traffic citation - What do I do?

  • If you lost your traffic citation, you need to contact the Woolwich Township Municipal Court at 856-467-1555 for information on how to proceed to contest the summonses or enter a guilty plea.

10. I have a question regarding my traffic citation - Who do I ask?

  • If you have any questions regarding your traffic citation, you need to contact the Woolwich Township Municipal Court at 856-467-1555. The Woolwich Township Police Department is not authorized to supply information regarding the disposition or future outcome of any citation.

11. New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Tips:

  • To speed up your visit to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), located at 215 Crown Point Road, West Deptford, NJ or the Salem County Office at 5 Woodstown Road, Salem, NJ:
  • A growing national problem is identity theft and document fraud. To combat these problems the MVC introduced a new 6 Point ID Verification Program in September 2003. It sounds complicated, but if you're prepared when you arrive at the agency, it's a very easy process. There are four steps to follow and each step is required by the MVC. Each document is assigned a POINT VALUE by the MVC. When a customer presents his or her documents the point value must total 6 points or more to obtain a driver's license. (Note: you can use two primary documents, but you still must show a secondary document even though the value of the two primary documents exceeds 6 points.)                                                  
  • After the point requirement is met the customers must show proof of their current address. Then the customer must provide their social security number. When all four steps required have been met, only then may the customer obtain a new driver's license. (Note: All documents presented must be ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPIES and must have the required State and/or Municipal seals. Photocopies and faxes WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Birth and marriage certificates issued by private entities such as hospitals or churches WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.) Have as much of the paperwork prepared as possible prior to your arrival at the MVC. The MVC Staff is extremely helpful and can assist you with your needs, but the more prepared you are the better they can serve you and the faster your visit will be. The four steps are as follows:
  • STEP 1 C Primary Documents C You must show at least ONE of these. U.S. Citizens 4-POINT DOCUMENTS  A civil birth certificate* or certified copy from one of the 50 states, District of Columbia or a US territory. Photocopies or certificates from hospitals or religious entities are not accepted. *If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate (for example, if your married name is Betty Smith but the name on your birth certificate is Betty Jones), then you must show proof of the name change. Such proof may include a certified marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order. The proof must link your current name to the name on your birth certificate.
  • US passport, current or expired less than 3 years  Active US military photo ID card  US Department of State birth certificate (form FS-545, FS-240 or DS-1350)  US adoption papers  Certificate of naturalization (form N-550, N-570 or N-578)  Certificate of citizenship (form N-560, N-561 or N-645) Non-Citizens 4-POINT DOCUMENTS:  Foreign passport with INS or BCIS verification, and valid record of arrival/departure (form 1-194) Foreign passport with INS or BCIS verification, and valid for 1-551 stamp  Current alien registration card (new form I-551) with expiration date and verification for INS or BCIS  Refugee travel document (form 1-571) US re-entry stamped Refugee Parolee, Asylee or Notice of Action (form I-797 approved petition) by INS or BCIS  Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped Processed for I-551 by INS or BCIS 3-POINT DOCUMENTS:  Current photo employment authorization card (form 1-688B or I-766). Must be presented with valid Social Security card.
  • 2-POINT DOCUMENTS: Current alien registration card (old form I-551) without expiration date, and INS or BCIS verification Photo temporary resident card (form I-688) 
  • STEP 2 C Secondary Documents C You must show at least ONE of these 3-POINT DOCUMENTS: Civil marriage certificate issued by the municipality in which you were married. Please note: Photocopies are not accepted. Marriage certificates issued by religious entities are not accepted. Divorce decree Court order for a legal name change, signed by a judge or court clerk Current US military dependent card US military photo retiree card NJ firearm purchaser card
  • 2-POINT DOCUMENTS: US school photo ID card with transcript or school records US college photo ID card with transcript Valid federal, state or local government employee driver license  Valid federal, state or local government employee photo ID card US military discharge papers (DD214) �� FAA pilot license
  • 1-POINT DOCUMENTS: You cannot use more than TWO of these  Current NJ photo license Current photo driver license from any other state or the District of Columbia Social Security card Bank statement or record ATM card with preprinted name and applicant's signature. (Please note: An ATM card and bank statement cannot be submitted together)  Current health insurance card, prescription card or employee ID card with printed pay stub  State professional license  NJ public assistance card with photo (also known as a NJ Social Services ID card) High school diploma, GED or college diploma  Property tax statement, bill or receipt issued by a New Jersey municipality For NJ high school students: a waiver certificate for the written portion of the driver's test  Veterans Affairs universal access photo ID card 
  • STEP 3 C Proof of Address You must also present proof of address, which may be, but is not limited to, ONE of these Utility or credit card bill issued in the past 90 days that shows your name at your current address Checking or savings account statement from a bank or credit union, issued in the past 60 days High school or college report card or transcript containing your address, issued within the past two years  Original lease or rental agreement showing your name as the lessee or renter Property tax bill, statement or receipt from the past year Any letter or correspondence (including tax bills) received from the IRS or state tax office in the last year First-class mail received from any federal, state or local government agency in the past six months  If you're under 18 and don't otherwise have proof of address, then we will accept a Parent or Guardian Certification that verifies you're living with a parent or guardian
  • STEP 4 C Social Security Number As a final step, we will access the Social Security Administration and verify that your name and date of birth match your Social Security Number

12. What can I do about my noisy neighbors?

  • A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, or radio. These types of complaints are best handled by the police department because the loud noise is intermittent, occasional, or spontaneous. A loud party is also best resolved by the police department. Should the problem become on-going, an officer equipped with a noise meter will respond to measure the noise and issue summonses if warranted. A Community Policing Officer(s) may also be referred by responding officers to meet with the parties involved in an attempt to mediate the situation without court procedures.

13. How can I obtain a restraining order?

  • A Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) may be requested whether or not an arrest has been made or the police have been called. A TRO is always free. Emergency Temporary Restraining Orders are available through the police department on a 24-hour basis.

14. What can I do about annoying or threatening phone calls?

  • If you become a victim of annoying phone calls, you should report them to the police department. Your phone company may be able to assist in tracking the origin of the calls if they have a police report number. If you become a victim of threatening phone calls, report them to your local police department immediately. Law enforcement takes threatening calls seriously, and so should you, especially if you are in a battering relationship or have been the victim of domestic violence.

15. How do I report a Missing Person?

  • You may initiate a Missing Persons Report by contacting the police department at 856-467-1667 or Gloucester County Communications at 856-589-0911. Contrary to popular belief, law enforcement agencies in New Jersey do not require a person to wait a specific period of time before reporting a missing person. Once you suspect that a person is missing, the police should be notified immediately. The Community Policing Unit encourages all parents to obtain Child Identification cards for their children. Child ID cards provide immeasurable assistance to law enforcement and parents in times of crisis when a child is lost or missing. The information contained on the Child ID cards allow officers to forward that information in the form of a statewide Amber Alert, which instantly notifies law enforcement of missing children. Child ID events are held several times each year. Watch your local newspapers for dates, or call the Community Policing Unit at 856-467-2666 x1128 to find out when the next Child ID event is being held.

16. What can I do about "Identity Theft"?

  • If you become the victim of identity theft, it is important to act immediately to stop the thief's further use of your identity.
  • Immediately contact all your credit card issuers. Get replacement cards with new account numbers. Ask that the old accounts be processed as "account closed at consumer's request." (This is better than "card lost or stolen," because when this statement is reported to credit bureaus, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss.)
  • Call the fraud units of the three credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. Report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers. Ask that your accounts be flagged. Also, add a victim's statement to your report such as, "My ID has been used to apply for credit fraudulently. Contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (your phone number) to verify all applications." Notify your bank(s) of the theft. Cancel your checking and savings accounts and obtain new account numbers. Ask the bank to issue you a secret password that must be used in every transaction. Put stop payments on any outstanding checks that you are unsure of.
  • If you use the ATM card for banking services, get a new card, account number, and password. Do not use your old password. When creating a password, avoid such commonly used numbers as the last four digits of your Social Security number and your birth date.
  • If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to Telecheck and National Processing Company (NPC). These check guarantee companies will flag your file so that bogus checks will be turned down. Call Telecheck at 800-366-2425. Call NPC at 800-526-5380.
  • The Secret Service has jurisdiction over financial fraud cases. This federal government agency usually does not investigate individual cases unless the dollar amount is very high. To interest the Secret Service in your case, ask someone in the fraud department of your credit card companies and/or banks to notify the particular SS agent they work with.
  • Notify the Social Security Administration's office of the Inspector General if your SSN has been used fraudulently. You may want to have your SSN changed if your number has become associated with bad checks and credit. CAUTION: This step should be reserved for only the most extreme situations. You must be sure to notify all credit grantors and credit reporting bureaus of your new SSN.
  • If you have a passport, notify the passport office to be on the look out for anyone ordering a new passport fraudulently. Call your telephone, electrical, gas and water utilities. Alert them to the possibility that someone may attempt to open new service using your identification. Also contact your long distance company.
  • The nearest office of the Consumer Credit Counseling Service might be able to help you remove fraudulent claims from your credit report. Call 800-388-2227. In dealing with the authorities and financial institutions, keep a log of all conversations, including dates and names. Send correspondence by certified mail. Keep copies of all letters and documents. Provide your police report number to expedite reporting the crime.
  • Consider seeking legal counsel, especially if you have difficulty clearing up your credit history, or your case is complex and involves a lot of money. An attorney can help you recover from the fraud and determine whether your rights under various credit banking, SSN, and other laws have been violated.
  • Pay attention to your own mental health. Victims of identity theft report that they often feel they are somehow to blame. They can also feel violated, even powerless, due in large part to the fact that few, if any, of the authorities who have been notified of the crime step forward to help the victim. Discuss your situation with a trusted friend or counselor. Seek help from a victims' rights organization.
  • Credit Reporting Bureaus Equifax Copy of Report: P.O. Box 740241 Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241 Dispute Report: P.O. Box 740256 Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0256 Order Credit Report:800-685-1111 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-219-1251 Report Fraud:800-525-6285 Trans Union Copy of Report: P.O. Box 7000 North Olmstead, OH 44070 Dispute Report: P.O. Box 403 Springfield, PA 19064 Order Credit Report:800-851-2674 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-241-2858 Report Fraud:800-680-7289 Experian Copy of Report: Dispute Report: Experian National Consumer Assistance Center P.O. Box 2104 Allen, TX 75013-2104 Order Credit Report:888-397-3742 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-353-0809
  • Remember, if you have been denied credit, you are entitled to a free credit report. To remove your name from mailing lists (Direct Marketing Association), contact Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735 and Telephone Preference Service, P.O. Box 9015, Farmingdale, NY 11735.
  • To report fraudulent use of your checks, call your bank, Telecheck (800-366-2425) or National Processing Company (NPC) 800-526-5380.